English, as a field of study, carries a pivotal role especially in countries where it is not the mother tongue due to multiple factors. By and large, English education is designed in almost all countries to prepare students planning to develop career mainly as English Teacher. This program develops an individual through knowledge of grammar, composition, language, and literature, including a theoretical base for continuous research in each of these areas. In addition, it contains a strong fundamental knowledge of the educational process and specific training in those methods which are appropriate and effective for English Language Teaching (ELT).
The Department of English offers English education to students wishing to pursue undergraduate and graduate studies in English. Apart from developing career in teaching English, it will also help learners prepare themselves for better jobs in any other occupations.
The Department of English will offer B.A. (Hons.) in English with coverage in English Literature, ELT (English Language Teaching) and Linguistics. This program aims at providing modern and extensive education in English literature and language and preparing students as well-trained English professionals to meet the demand of national and international English professionals. The program also aims at:
- training the basic skills of reading, writing, speaking and listening English as a foreign language;
- reading analytically;
- thinking critically and logically;
- learn basic research methodology;
- know about the major literary movements and periods, authors and their representative works and critical theories related to English literature;
- developing competence in aesthetic appreciation of literature and its contribution to human life;
- students understand other countries and cultures and
- preparing students and participate in departmental forums and in other literary and cultural activities.
Specialization / Major:
B.A. (Hons.) in English program has the following areas as specialization/major:
a) English Literature
b) ELT (English Language Teaching) / Applied linguistics
Students who complete B.A. (Hons.) in English will be able to:
- use language effectively in oral and written communication;
- write essays, research paper, thesis, etc. which meets approved standards;
- develop knowledge and skills in linguistics, literature, ELT and English language proficiency ;
- develop a modern attitude to life;
- promote intellectual growth and critical thinking of the learners;
- conduct research in accordance with prescribed guidelines;
- work with essays, assignments and research papers in accordance with MLA (Modern Language Association) guidelines;
- describe the characteristics and critical exercise of major literary movements in USA, Great Britain and Indian Subcontinent;
- analyze and evaluate literary and
- work on the basis of critical theories.